How to get CPC+ credit for hbA1c improvement with Elation October 12, 2017
With the first CPC+ performance period now well underway, Elation is excited to bring our users weekly updates to help you save time, get the most out of using Elation for CPC+, provide better care for your patients and ultimately succeed in this program. Learn more about Elation and CPC+ here.
As we mentioned last week, CPC+ has two reverse clinical quality measures (CQMs) and reporting for these measures can be tricky without the help of a simple and easy to follow workflow. Elation has designed a workflow for the hbA1c measure, in particular, to make meeting program requirements less stressful for your practice.
What is the hbA1c measure?
The Diabetes HbA1c Poor Control CQM is designed to track the percentage of patients 18-75 years of age with diabetes who had hemoglobin A1c less than 9.0% during the measurement period. As we discussed, this is a reverse measure meaning the goal of this measure is to ensure patients keep their A1c below 9% and practices should aim to lower their percentage for this CQM.
How do you satisfy this measure within Elation?
To ensure successful completion of this measure for CPC+ follow the steps for the workflow below:
1. Locate the patient with a Diabetes diagnosis (E11.9, etc):
2. Receive HbA1c Labs from a Lab Vendor electronically through Elation, or manually document a patient’s HbA1c Results:
3. The HbA1c can be recorded in a structured format by clicking “Actions” then selecting “Add Lab Values for Trending.”
You can also refer to this video for a more detailed walkthrough:
As with many more complicated CPC+ measures, information can be incorrectly entered or transferred from lab interfaces not compliant with the program. In order to back enter results for this measure to ensure you receive credit, follow the workflow below:
- Go to Reports > Clinical Quality Measures
- For the measure “Diabetes HbA1c Poor Control” click on View List
- From the pop-up window, click on “Meets Criteria”. This list are the patients who need data entered as structured data (as there is no data entered via structured entry OR hbA1c value is >9.0%”
How does Elation’s workflow help your practice succeed in CPC+?
Satisfying a reverse measure like this one which relies heavily on interfaced lab results can be tricky; however, Elation limits wasted time by making documentation straight-forward so that your practice’s progress in the CPC+ program moves forward without a hitch.
The statements contained on this website are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of CMS. The authors assume responsibility for the accuracy and completeness of the information contained on this website.