Why your growth depends on APIs
The interoperability of electronic health records (EHRs) has become a critical aspect of sharing and receiving patient data. Different systems must be able to talk to each other on many levels. The technology behind interoperability is dependent on the application programming interface (API), which is why your growth depends on APIs as well.
APIs that are integrated with certified EHR technology enable patients to access their own health information easily and seamlessly. For the independent physician, APIs are critical to their ability to communicate with other healthcare providers, including specialty physicians and hospitals, for improved care and outcomes for their patients.
The Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC) 21st Century Cures Act Final Rule of 2020 enhances that patient access to their personal health information through standards-based API adoption. Particularly given the increase of remote care, virtual visits, and healthcare wearables, APIs make it easier for patients to access their medical records from certified EHR systems.
Healthcare data is increasingly digital, enabling patients and providers to access all relevant information using the technology of a growing number of different types of devices. Seamlessly sharing that electronic health information between patients, providers, and researchers is a significant goal for everyone involved. Your growth depends on APIs that make that ability to share and receive information possible.
Fully realizing the potential of EHRs to improve care and patient outcomes requires developing standardized methods to enhance communication and the interaction between different systems as well as mobile applications. In fact, the Cures Act Final Rule requires open APIs, encouraging secure access to that patient data.
Elation Health is your partner in growth, with a cloud-based EHR platform built on top of database tools as well as a modern API that delivers the tech-forward healthcare solutions you need to be successful.
Your growth depends on APIs that make possible the data integration, or interoperability, strategy that enables you to communicate effectively and securely with patients and with other providers. To take advantage of this technology, you will need a solid integration plan. Here are eight recommended steps that can help you be more successful:
- Ensure that your product has the features necessary for data exchange. Your integration layer will allow you the flexibility to handle integration with different systems with which you need to connect.
- Discuss your specific needs with your vendor to launch the planning phase of your integration plan.
- Know your data necessities, such as sample JSON, sample HL7 messages, data dictionaries, and the vendor API.
- Make decisions about and define your infrastructure and secure connectivity. You’ll need these pieces in place as the foundation for your interface configuration.
- Set up the endpoints, configuring and coding each interface.
- Test sample messages, both incoming and outgoing. Identify any potential issues and resolve before completing the testing stage of the process.
- Turn on all channels, open the organization data feeds, and populate the system.
- Be sure you have ongoing support as you implement your plans.
Interoperability is a process that requires multiple steps that are interconnected. You can rely on Elation as your trusted interoperability partner to help you through the journey.